Student Mental Health


For Emergencies

  • Call 9-1-1

First Step Resources

Families — If you haven't yet downloaded the First Step app, we hope you'll take a minute to do so now. This app is available on all student iPads in grades 6-12.

It is our hope that families will spend a few minutes familiarizing themselves with this new tool and talking to your children about it. Inside First Step you will find resources like, “3 Ways to Help a Friend,” “Getting Through Today,” contacts for free counseling and two featured resources: SafeOregon and YouthLine.

Resources include:

  • Free Counseling and Support — connect with links to local resources
  • SafeOregon — students can report anything from vandalism to theft to cyberbullying via text or phone, email, or online
  • YouthLine — a free and confidential teen-to-teen help line.
  • Learn more about First Step on the First Step website.
  • Download the app:

First Step is made possible thanks to the Bend Police Department, Lines for Life, SafeOregon and many other incredible community partners.

For Ongoing Support

If you or someone you know needs help, take one of the following actions:

  • FAN Advocates are a great resource to help connect families and students with basic needs.
  • School counselors continue to be available to support students and families during these unique and often stressful times. You can connect with each grade level counselor on a range of topics including academics, personal-emotional concerns, social conflicts, college and career information, and referrals to community resources. While school counselors do not provide ongoing therapy, they are available for solution-focused-brief-counseling, collaborative problem solving and positive support through challenging emotions and situations. School counselor contact information is available on each school website, see a list of schools here.
  • Oregon Youthline (a free, confidential teen-to-teen crisis and help line; teens are available 4 to 10 p.m. daily; adults available all other times) 1-877-968-8491 or text teen2teen to 839863
  • Deschutes County Crisis Line 541-322-7500 ext. 9
  • Contact school counseling center or other mental health professional
  • Deschutes County Sheriff’s Non-Emergency Number: 541-693-6911
  • Call Deschutes County Behavioral Health 541-322-7500
  • Oregon State University - Cascades has a free counseling clinic in Bend and La Pine 541-322-2047 (servicesMind your mind logo provided by counseling students in training for those ages 14 and older)
  • Mind Your Mind is a website from Deschutes County is an everyday mental health awareness campaign from Deschutes County Health Services and Central Oregon Health Council — which includes providers and health advocates from Crook, Jefferson, and Deschutes Counties.

Additional Resources

New Resources

Safe and Strong Helpline - 1-800-923-HELP

Safe + Strong Helpline, in partnership with the Oregon Health Authority, is an emotional support and resource referral line that can assist anyone who is struggling and seeking support. Callers do not need to be in a crisis to contact this line. Help is free and available 24/7. Language interpreters are available. If you or a loved one is feeling worried, upset, or overwhelmed, give the helpline a call. The call counselor will listen, assess your needs, and problem-solve with referral to community services and resources if needed. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call the Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Racial Equity Support Line 503-575-3764

The Racial Equity Support Line is a service led and staffed by people with lived experience of racism. It offers support to those who are feeling the emotional impacts of racist violence and microaggressions, as well as the emotional impacts of immigration struggles and other cross-cultural issues. Experiencing racism can harm our mental wellness. The person who answers may be a stranger – but the operators understand what you’re going through. They will listen to your situation as you talk through your feelings, and offer resources based on what seems most helpful to you. Call 503-575-3764 weekdays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you have questions or want to reach the Director of Equity Initiatives, please email Donna Harrell at [email protected].

Reach Out Oregon

This is a resource for parents to receive support and help from other parents. Families with children experiencing mental, emotional or behavioral health challenges will gain access to a support team of families and friends and a community network where questions are answered, resources are shared, and needs are understood. Resources include a warmline for families to call or leave a message, 1.833.REACH.OR (1.833.732.2467); an online forum, live chat or email: [email protected]. Learn more:

Oregon Youth Line Logo

Deschutes County Behavioral Health

Deschutes County Behavioral Health professionals will be available and providing services at the following locations:

  • Bend Location: 2577 NE Courtney Drive
  • Redmond Location: 406 West Antler Avenue
  • La Pine Location: 51340 Highway 97 South

School Based Approaches to Suicide

Partnership with Deschutes County on development of “School Based Approaches to Suicide: A Comprehensive Guide” (Visit the Deschutes County Suicide Prevention page, go to supporting documents at the bottom of the page.)

Youth Suicide Prevention Tips, Warning Signs and How to Help

How to Talk to Students About Suicide (from Oregon Health Authority)

Warning Signs:

  • Talking about hurting themselves
  • Making plans for suicide
  • Expressing severe distress, hopelessness and/or withdrawing from others
  • Displaying worrisome behavior

How to Help:

  • Ask if they are having thoughts of suicide
  • Listen thoughtfully, without judgment
  • Let them know that you care and they have been heard
  • Help them find assistance through a trusted adult and/or by calling one of the resources, such as Oregon Youthline 877-968-8491; Deschutes County Crisis Line 541-322-7500; or National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800-273-TALK

Child Abuse Prevention

Darkness to Light Training

Experts estimate that 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthday (reflects physical contact acts of sexual abuse only) – Townsend, C., Rheingold, A.A., (2003) Learn More About This Study

What is Child Sexual Abuse?

Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) includes any sexual contact between an adult (18 or older) and a minor (younger than 18) or between two minors, when one exerts power over the other. Sexual contact between minors is abuse when physical or psychological coercion is used, or when there is a significant difference in the physical size or developmental levels of the minors, or when there is an age difference of 3 or more years.Child Sexual abuse also includes non-contact acts such as exhibitionism, exposure to pornography, voyeurism, child pornography, commercial sexual exploitation of children and communicating in a sexual manor by phone or internet.

How do I report a suspicion of child abuse?

With any disclosures or suspicion of abuse, you must make a report.

Call local law enforcement's non-emergency number or dial 911 if there is immediate danger. Or call the Department of Human Services-Child Welfare at 541-693-2854.

If you need additional resources or support call KIDS Center at 541-383-5958.

You do not have to know all the details or know for certain abuse is happening to report a concern/suspicion.Follow your instincts and report what you have seen/heard or behaviors that are concerning. When calling to make a report it is important to know that you are not making an accusation, but you are simply making what is called a “good faith” report requesting a professional service to be conducted.

For more information about Oregon reporting laws