Health & Immunizations

For resources on mental health and well being, click on the link below to visit our

Student Mental Health page

Healthy Kids

In Bend-La Pine Schools, we believe student health is a critical component for our students' education. This includes physical, emotional and mental health. The resources on this page can help families answer questions about immunizations, common health ailments and more.

When Should I Keep My Child Home?

Do not send an ill child to school. Students should stay home if they experience any of the following symptoms:

  • Cough: Persistent cough with or without fever; serious, sustained coughing; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing.
  • Diarrhea: 3 or more loose, watery stools in one day. May return when diarrhea has resolved for 24 hours.
  • Fever: More than 100.5 F. May return when temperature is below 100.5 F for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication).
  • Jaundice (yellow color of skin and/or eyes): May return after diagnosis from a physician and clearance is given.
  • Lice (live bugs): May return after a pediculicide lice treatment shampoo has been applied (per manufacturer or physician instruction) and there are no live bugs. See district lice procedure: English or Spanish
  • Rash (any new rash if accompanied by fever): May return when symptoms are resolved or a diagnosis has been made and clearance given.
  • Skin lesions: Or drainage that cannot be contained within a bandage. May return when discharge is gone or student has been on antibiotics for 24 hours and has a written consent from the health care provider upon return to school. Drainage must be contained within a bandage.
  • Stiff Neck (or headache with accompanying fever): May return when symptoms are resolved or a diagnosis is made and clearance given.
  • Strep throat: May return after after 24 hours on antibiotics.
  • Vomiting: More than twice in 24 hours, unless determined to be from non-communicable conditions. May return when vomiting is resolved.

  • Illness of two or more weeks, surgery or other change in health status: Written instructions from their health care provider regarding medication and/or special health needs must be provided to the school nurse.
  • Student requires more care than the school staff can safely provide: Remain home until resolved or reasonable care can be provided by school personnel.

Immunization Information

Immunizations are required by state law for children and students in attendance at public and private schools, preschools, childcare facilities and Head Start programs in Oregon. Nearly every facility that provides care for a child outside the home requires immunizations or a medical or non-medical exemption to stay enrolled.

  • Kindergarten students & new students are not allowed to attend school until they have a minimum of one dose each of required vaccines.
  • Required vaccines: English and Spanish
  • If your student does not meet the state requirements for immunization you will receive an exclusion notice mailed in late fall or early winter. This is a letter stating that your child must be immunized according to state requirements or will not be admitted to school starting on February 15, 2017. If you receive an exclusion notice, contact your medical provider to have your child immunized. Children who are not up-to-date on their immunizations by February 15, 2017 will be excluded from school until their immunizations are up-to-date.
  • Students may return to or begin school after parents bring proof of up-to-date immunizations or the appropriate medical or non-medical exemptions to the school office.
  • For immunizations contact your child’s health care provider or other resources.
  • Tuberculosis testing may be required for students born in a foreign country.
  • Students may be exempted from receiving certain immunizations for medical or non-medical reasons.
Kindergarten students will have an additional exclusion date of November 17. Parents will receive notification at the time of enrollment or early in the school year if their student needs immunizations for this exclusion date.

Why Should I Immunize My Child?


Deschutes County Health Department

Where Can I Get My Child Immunized?

  • Child's primary health care provider
  • Most local participating pharmacies provide vaccines for children 7 years and older


  • Bend School Based Health Centers (SBHC)

Ensworth Elementary
2150 NE Daggett Lane
Bend, OR

Bend High SchooL
230 NE 6th Street
Bend, OR

La Pine

  • La Pine SBHC
    51605 Coach Road
    La Pine, OR


  • Redmond School Based Health Centers

M.A. Lynch Elementary
1314 SW Kalama Avenue
Redmond, OR

Redmond High School
675 SW Rimrock Way
Redmond, OR


  • Sisters High School SBHC
    1680 W McKinney Butte Road
    Sisters, OR

For School Based Health Center Appointments:

  • Please bring immunization records and insurance information to appointment.
  • Children under 15 years old need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
  • Services will not be denied based on insurance coverage or ability to pay.

My Child is Enrolled in Online School, Does He or She Need to Be Immunized?

If they attend school or activities five or more days during a year, they must comply with state immunization requirements.

Who Can I Talk to if I Have Questions or Need Help?

Your school’s office or school nurse as well the Deschutes County Health Department.

Additional Immunization Information

CDC Immunization Information

Medication Use

What If My Student Needs to Take Medication During the Day?

Parent/Guardian must bring the medication to the school office and complete the medication administration form. Students may not transport medications to and from school. Asthma rescue inhalers may be an exception in some cases, talk to your school nurse. The purpose of having medication at school is to keep a student in school. This applies to all prescription and over the counter medications like ibuprofen & Tylenol. The medication must be in the original container and not expired.

What If I Want My Student to Carry His or Her Own Medicine During the Day?

Applies to students in grades 6-12. Complete the 2 sided, self medication form and turn it into the counseling or main office. Students may only carry one day's dose and it must be in the original container. Asthma rescue inhalers will have many doses.

What About Cough Drops, Orajel, Antibiotic Ointment and Other Topical Creams?

All of the above have to be treated like medication at school because they contain active ingredients and can cause allergic reactions and/or over-dosage. Parents need to bring them to school and sign a permission form.

For older students, in order to self carry the cough drops, a self medication form must be completed by the parent and student. The easiest way to avoid this is to use hard candy instead of medicated cough drops.

Consider medicating your child with Tylenol or Ibuprofen in the morning if they have tooth pain instead of sending medication to school. Be sure to access dental care as needed. If you need assistance with this, contact your school nurse. Some children are allergic to topical creams so they must be stored in the health room and a permission form signed by the parent. For older students who want to self carry, please complete a self medication form.

Immunization Info

Lice Procedures

Information about how Bend-La Pine Schools handles cases of lice