All Bend-La Pine Schools are closed through April 28, 2020. Continuation of Learning begins April 1. Learn more at our COVID-19 webpage.

Student Mental Health

Hope & Help

Deschutes County Behavioral Health

Deschutes County Behavioral Health professionals will be available and providing services at the following locations:

  • Bend Location: 2577 NE Courtney Drive
  • Redmond Location: 406 West Antler Avenue
  • La Pine Location: 51340 Highway 97 South


For Emergencies

  • Call 9-1-1

First Step Resources

  • Learn more about our First Step app, which includes links to free counseling and support, Oregon Youthline and SafeOregon.

For Ongoing Support

If you or someone you know needs help, take one of the following actions:

  • Oregon Youthline (a free, confidential teen-to-teen crisis and help line; teens are available 4 to 10 p.m. daily; adults available all other times) 1-877-968-8491 or text teen2teen to 839863
  • Deschutes County Crisis Line 541-322-7500 ext. 9
  • Contact school counseling center or other mental health professional
  • Visit the crisis walk-in center, 2577 NE Courtney, Bend, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Deschutes County Sheriff’s Non-Emergency Number: 541-693-6911
  • Call Deschutes County Behavioral Health 541-322-7500
  • Counselors are available at School-Based Health Centers (located at Ensworth Elementary School, Bend Senior High School and La Pine High School). Contact the closest center to make an appointment. Learn more about School-Based Health Centers.
  • Oregon State University - Cascades has a free counseling clinic in Bend and La Pine 541-322-2047 (services provided by counseling students in training for those ages 14 and older)

Additional Resources

Child Abuse Prevention

Darkness to Light Training

Experts estimate that 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthday (reflects physical contact acts of sexual abuse only) – Townsend, C., Rheingold, A.A., (2003) Learn More About This Study

What is Child Sexual Abuse?

Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) includes any sexual contact between an adult (18 or older) and a minor (younger than 18) or between two minors, when one exerts power over the other. Sexual contact between minors is abuse when physical or psychological coercion is used, or when there is a significant difference in the physical size or developmental levels of the minors, or when there is an age difference of 3 or more years.Child Sexual abuse also includes non-contact acts such as exhibitionism, exposure to pornography, voyeurism, child pornography, commercial sexual exploitation of children and communicating in a sexual manor by phone or internet.

How do I report a suspicion of child abuse?

With any disclosures or suspicion of abuse, you must make a report.

Call local law enforcement's non-emergency number or dial 911 if there is immediate danger. Or call the Department of Human Services-Child Welfare at 541-693-2854.

If you need additional resources or support call KIDS Center at 541-383-5958.

You do not have to know all the details or know for certain abuse is happening to report a concern/suspicion.Follow your instincts and report what you have seen/heard or behaviors that are concerning. When calling to make a report it is important to know that you are not making an accusation, but you are simply making what is called a “good faith” report requesting a professional service to be conducted.

For more information about Oregon reporting laws

Youth Suicide Prevention Tips, Warning Signs and How to Help

How to Talk to Students About Suicide (from Oregon Health Authority)

Warning Signs:

  • Talking about hurting themselves
  • Making plans for suicide
  • Expressing severe distress, hopelessness and/or withdrawing from others
  • Displaying worrisome behavior

How to Help:

  • Ask if they are having thoughts of suicide
  • Listen thoughtfully, without judgment
  • Let them know that you care and they have been heard
  • Help them find assistance through a trusted adult and/or by calling one of the resources, such as Oregon Youthline 877-968-8491; Deschutes County Crisis Line 541-322-7500; or National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800-273-TALK
Oregon Youth Line Logo