Skip to main content

Medication Use

Close up photo of empty classroom and one row of desk chairs. A couple of the chairs of book bags sitting on the floor beside them.

What If My Student Needs to Take Medication During the Day?

A student with asthma or severe allergies may be permitted to administer medication to themselves without assistance from designated personnel. The student must demonstrate the ability, developmentally and behaviorally, to self-administer prescription and/or non-prescription medication and must have the following documentation completed:

  1. A signed Bend-La Pine consent form for self-medication administration. Medication Self Administration Form
  2. For asthma, diabetes: A medication prescribed by a prescriber or other licensed health care professional for managing the student’s condition and directs use by the student while the student is in school. The prescriber will include acknowledgment that the student has been instructed in the correct and responsible use of the prescribed medication.
  3. The permission to self-administer the medicine from a Bend-La Pine school nurse.
  4. With the exception of epinephrine, Glucagon, insulin, and topical creams, all self-administered medications should be in the original container and contain only the amount of medication needed for that day.

What If I Want My Student to Carry His or Her Own Medicine During the Day?

Applies to students in grades 6-12. Complete the 2 sided, self medication form and turn it into the counseling or main office. Students may only carry one day's dose and it must be in the original container. Asthma rescue inhalers will have many doses.

What About Cough Drops, Orajel, Antibiotic Ointment and Other Topical Creams?

All of the above have to be treated like medication at school because they contain active ingredients and can cause allergic reactions and/or over-dosage. Parents need to bring them to school and sign a permission form.

For older students, in order to self carry the cough drops, a self medication form must be completed by the parent and student. The easiest way to avoid this is to use hard candy instead of medicated cough drops.

Consider medicating your child with Tylenol or Ibuprofen in the morning if they have tooth pain instead of sending medication to school. Be sure to access dental care as needed. If you need assistance with this, contact your school nurse. Some children are allergic to topical creams so they must be stored in the health room and a permission form signed by the parent. For older students who want to self carry, please complete a self medication form.